Vegan Tangy Mushroom Masala Recipe:
Indian food is what I love to make and research with when I’m tired of all my much-loved dishes. I love Indian food but to me, Indian food has always been so outlandish. Vegan Tangy Mushroom Masala Recipe uses freshly ground spice paste of Indian spices. This is also undoubtedly the tranquil and aromatic mushroom curry that you could cook to be served as a side dish rice. This is the country style cooking of mushrooms which can be used to cook other items also.
Wherever, we go on a long drive, we always stop at one particular vegetarian restaurant on the highway as they serve delicious food and the place also looks squeaky clean. That’s the origin of this dish. I once spoke to the cook there, who was a simple man from a nearby village. He advised and gave me directions to make this awesome dish. He told me that the day he came up with this curry and started serving it, ever since then people were thronging his stall. I could totally understand the reason.
Vegan Tangy Mushroom Masala Recipe
We start with chopping the mushrooms very finely for this curry.
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger, peeled and finely grated
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 stick cinnamon (or a dash of ground cinnamon)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a medium vessel over medium-high heat.
- Add mustard seeds and cook until they crackle.
- Add mushrooms and half of your garlic and sautee for about 4-5 minutes. Stir frequently and keep aside
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the vessel and sautee ginger, garlic, and onions for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cumin seeds, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, salt (roughly 1 teaspoon), pepper and maple syrup and cook until the liquid is reduced to a paste, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree, then transfer back to the cooking vessel.
- Reduce heat, add cinnamon and lime juice and simmer for 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and garnish with fresh coriander leaves
Add 1-2 tablespoon full fat coconut milk to make this masala creamier!
Tangy Mushroom curry is ready to serve. The curry should be semi dry. If you keep it on a plate it should stay put and there should be no liquid running around. If the curry is a bit watery cook for a few more minutes.
Serve hot with rice. Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this Recipe, I am sure you will also like this Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe too.