Spicy stuffed eggplants. What more can I say? There are some vegetables we would not mind having every day of the year and eggplant is one of them. There are so many ways to cook them, and every one of them is delicious beyond words. From that so many recipes today we have chosen to show you the Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe.[sociallocker id=”380″][/sociallocker]
In Indian cuisine, there are different versions of stuffed eggplants. Most of them are vegetarian and mainly spice stuffed. But it is the spices that vary from one region to another and they really are all unique in their tastes, texture, and flavors.
Stuffed Eggplant with onion, garlic, tomatoes and fresh basil then topped with vegan cheese is a simple yet flavourful. What I like most about this dish is the twist on the stuffing. You can use your ideas too, to make it more creative and exciting. I’ve made a few modifications to Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe over the years, adding extra herbs and spices to pump up the flavor.
Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
- 2 large eggplant, halved
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp cumin
- 3 tomatoes, chopped, seeds removed
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of ½ large lemon
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Olive oil and cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant, chop into cubes. Salt the flesh and set aside in a bowl. Set aside the empty eggplant halves.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, lemon zest, cinnamon, and cumin, and fry until the tomatoes are soft, mushy and the mixture is fragrant. Remove from the heat.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and fry the eggplant flesh until golden. Remove from the heat and combine with the tomato mixture.
- Place the eggplant halves in a baking dish, and fill with the tomato and eggplant mixture. Drizzle olive oil over the eggplant halves and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the baking dish with water, lemon juice, and olive oil to about halfway up the eggplant halves.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and return to the oven until the eggplant is cooked through, approximately 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve it as a main dish or a side
It’s a great, delicious, healthy, filling dish which happens to be vegan. Well, Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe is kind of recipe which is saved for special occasions and for when someone really wants to have it; it definitely is not an everyday kind of dish. So we make ourselves happy with this kind of stuffed eggplants.